Over the past few months many friends of the Museum have asked, “What’s happening at the Museum” and “When will it reopen?” During the renovation of the building we discovered a number of structural issues in the gallery space of the Museum. The Gallery, after all, is the original Red House, a converted out-building that was on the property when Frank Stephens purchased the Derrickson farm in 1900. Our building is showing its age – all 120+ years.
After major termite damage was discovered and repaired, we found additional problems under the floor of the Red House (which is the front structure that is a single story on the Museum). A structural engineer was brought in to examine the building. Based on the engineer’s report, new plans have been drawn. The amount of work that will need to be done is extensive, involving the flooring, the ceiling, and the roof.
The plans are now in the hands of New Castle County for their review and the permit process. Our contractor is ready and we are looking forward to beginning this next step. The work is significant and the cost will substantial.
We have opened a GoFundMe Page to bring this 19th century building into the 21st century- it will be quite a journey.
Please come and see our current exhibition Images from the Ardens 1900-1960. The show is in the Bernie Schwab Community Room – just follow the signs along Cherry Lane to the “back” door. Our museum hours are the same: Sunday afternoons from 1 PM to 3 PM and Wednesday evenings from 7:30 PM to 9 PM. We will also be open from 1PM-4 PM for the ACRA Spring House & Garden Tour on Sunday, May 22nd.
The Past has a Future in the Ardens.